Turkmenistan Border Crossings to Iran and Uzbekistan – My Border Crossing and Overland Journey in Central Asia
One of the crucial mysterious nations in Central Asia is Turkmenistan and it percentage the borders with Uzbekistan, Afghanistan, Iran and Kazakhstan. I’m happy to enjoy crossing the border of Farap – Alat border in Uzbekistan and Gaudan – Bajgiran border in Iran. So, right here’s my article on how you’ll be able to move the borders of Uzbekistan to Turkmenistan and Turkmenistan to Iran.
Overland trip and Crossing borders are on my maximum favourite issues to do when touring. I simply love to fulfill locals right through this in most cases lengthy shuttle, percentage studies with them or even some native cuisine! Additionally love how the ambience, the principles, the surroundings, and the panorama adjustments the instant you move the border.
I’ve crossed borders in five other continents together with from The Dominican Republic to Haiti and Djibouti to Somaliland. We even sailed throughout islands and nations so there’s no means I’d pass over this chance to trip round Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, and Iran by way of crossing the borders and touring by way of land regardless of how a lot other people understand it to be bad. (and it’s now not bad in any respect!)
Central Asia, particularly the “–stans” isn’t very interesting to vacationers as numerous other people understand it to be “very bad”. I, myself, even heard naysayers announcing I shouldn’t move on with this shuttle as a solo feminine traveler however wager what? No person can forestall me from visiting each unmarried nation on this planet!!
CROSSING THE BORDER FROM UZBEKISTAN TO TÜRKMENABAT, TURKMENISTAN (Farap – Alat border)
It was once sizzling scorching once I visited and this, in all probability, is probably the most difficult land border crossing that I’ve ever encountered. No longer simplest was once my sweat dripping below the 43 levels celsius warmth, however I additionally made a giant mistake of reserving with other Excursion Businesses in Uzbekistan and Turkmenistan. That being mentioned, I needed to stroll from the border to the regulate gate with all my luggage in tow.
Simply to come up with an concept: To head from the Uzbekistan immigration place of business to achieve the border to Türkmenabat, I needed to take 2 other automobile rides in this outdated Russian van known as marshrutka. You want to be sure you nonetheless have some Uzbek cash to pay for this!
It was once now not that some distance however with the warmth it wasn’t the most efficient feeling and sadly, once I arrived, the officials have been taking a lunch spoil. That is how I stopped up ready for nearly 2 hours there with 60 Turkmen other people with me. The excellent news is that I used to be the one vacationer so everybody was once speaking to me and giving me snacks. Ha!
DEALING WITH THE IMMIGRATION OFFICERS FROM TURKMENISTAN
After speaking to the locals for kind of 2 hours, the officials got here again to their same old put up. After checking my passport and my invitation letter sooner than issuing me with the visa, I used to be requested fundamental questions like why was once I touring by myself, what my itinerary is and the place I’ll be staying.
HOW PHILIPPINES PASSPORT HOLDER CAN GET A TOURIST VISA FOR TURKMENISTAN
When you’re arriving on the airport in Turkmenistan, Filipinos can get a Visa on Arrival however simplest in case you have an invitation letter from a excursion company.
On the other hand, when you’re crossing the border like what I did, then you definitely’ll want a visa upfront or too can get it on the primary border crossings. Just be sure you have sufficient US bucks, I paid $86 and the broadcast replica of your visa and excursion itinerary.
I paid a excursion company to prepare my shuttle so they are able to give me the invitation letter that I revealed.Observe that it’s VERY DIFFICULT and VERY EXPENSIVE to get a visa right here so it’s higher to get it from a Shuttle Company.
Once I were given my visa, I needed to go the customs who inspected all my luggages after which needed to take some other marshrutka to the Turkmenistan immigration major gate the place my excursion information is looking forward to me so we will be able to move to the educate station to catch our in a single day educate to Ashgabat.
OTHER TIPS ON CROSSING THE BORDER IN TURKMENISTAN AND TRAVELING AROUND TURKMENISTAN
- Turkmenistan is a Muslim nation however they’re very trendy. By way of this, I imply that you’ll be able to put on no matter you wish to have simply as when you’re touring round Istanbul.
- When you e-book a package deal excursion (which I extremely counsel you do), I extremely suggest Indy Information. That is the place you’ll be able to e-book a Excursion Information, Motive force and Excursion Programs in underrated locations to come up with an unique and hassle-free enjoy.
- Observe that Turkmenistan is loopy dear and also you’ll perhaps spend extra when you trip solo. As an example, a meal would already value you 20-30 USD!
- Keep away from taking footage on the border gates.
- All the time have a duplicate of your Passport, Visas, and Lodging.
- From there, you’ll be able to take an in a single day sleeper educate to Ashgabat, the capital of Turkmenistan.
- Social media channels together with WhatsApp and a few web sites are blocked, occasionally even your VPN received’t paintings (similar to what took place to me).
- You’re now not allowed to smoke in public puts.
- The folk within the capital are very reserved. They’re now not pleasant so don’t be expecting to get handled like a star simply since you’re a vacationer.
- Don’t take footage of other people and public structures.
- Ashgabat is the sort of stunning town and I extremely counsel you power round at evening.
- The change fee could be very difficult. After I visited, the respectable change fee is 1$ = three.five Manat but if I requested across the black put it on the market values is 16 Manat! Watch out despite the fact that, it’s unlawful to make an change on the black marketplace!!
CROSSING THE TURKMENISTAN-IRAN BORDER (Gaudan – Bajgiran border)
After my few days in Ashgabat, want I stayed not up to 6 days because the capital town can simply be carried out in 2 or three days with a sidetrip to Darvaza Fuel Crater (“the door to hell”)
I then persisted to my adventure to Iran. The Gaudan-Bajgiran Border is simply an hour away power from Ashgabat so that is slightly a very simple path. There’s a primary gate which is simplest 15 to 20 mins power from the capital and when you’re now not occurring a excursion then the taxi would drop you at this gate for the preliminary safety checkpoint the place it’s important to catch a bus however since I used to be on a non-public excursion, they let my motive force power for some other 40 mins to the border regulate.
What makes it more straightforward is that the Immigration Place of business of those nations are only a quick stroll from every different and the officials are really nice! It was once additionally scorching at the moment however I wasn’t sweating like loopy like I did once I crossed the border to Turkmenistan from Uzbekistan.
DEALING WITH THE IMMIGRATION OFFICERS IN TURKMENISTAN-IRAN BORDER
“Are you by myself?” was once the primary query that was once requested of me by way of an Iranian Immigration Officer who gave me a pleasing smile. Not like the Immigration Officials in Turkmenistan, I felt very a lot welcome right here seeing from locals’ gleaming faces. Those have been adopted by way of different same old questions like the place I used to be staying, my itinerary, after which a stamp on my revealed visa paper. They not stamp your passport if you were given an e-visa. It is rather simple!
HOW PHILIPPINES PASSPORT HOLDER CAN GET A TOURIST VISA FOR IRAN
Philippines Passport Holders can get a Visa on Arrival for Iran in any of those airports:
- IKA: Imam Khomeini Airport
- TEH: Tehran Mehrabad Airport
- SYZ: Shiraz World Airport
- MHD: Mashhad World Airport
- TBZ: Tabriz World Airport
- ISF: Isfahan World Airport
- KIH: Kish World Airport
On the other hand, whilst you’re crossing the border, it is important to pre-arrange your visa with a trip company. In my case, Discuss with Our Iran organized my visa for me and I simplest needed to get it from the Iran Embassy in Zagreb (bodily look is needed).
Comparable Article: How Philippines Passport Holder Can Observe For A Visa On Arrival for Iran
TIPS ON CROSSING THE BORDER TO AND TRAVELING AROUND IRAN
- Quilt your self out of your hair in your ankles with a headband or hijab– a manteau to hide your higher frame, and a couple of denims will do (and no, your garments doesn’t should be black). This shall be from the instant you disembark from the aircraft or proper sooner than you move the border.
- Not like Turkmenistan, Iran is an excessively conservative Muslim nation. Which means you must keep away from any intimate touch with the other intercourse (shake arms integrated except he/she is your host and he/she initiated it). Additionally, you shouldn’t sit down subsequent to the other intercourse in public transportation except he/she is your relative.
- Ingesting in public puts is unlawful.
- By no means talk towards the Executive.
- Don’t take footage of locals except you ask for his or her permission.
- VPN may be essential to be downloaded prior in your arrival. Social Media Networks are blocked right here as neatly.
- I additionally suggest reserving with a Excursion Company. Discuss with Our Iran is very really helpful and you’ll be able to get a 10% cut price whilst you e-book with them the usage of our code TWOMONKEYSTRAVEL2019VOI.
Comparable Article: Iran Shuttle Information for Filipinos
That’s it for this put up! General, each border crossings are very a lot attainable even for a solo feminine traveler like me. As same old, I’ve met such a lot of great other people right through my border crossing and I’ll all the time do that given the danger! Wishing you relaxing making plans and shuttle!