Bryndzové halušky is a dish of small potato dumplings (halušky) with “bryndza” (Slovak sheep’s cheese) and it’s convenience meals at its highest.
My maternal grandparents immigrated to the US from a village in Jap Slovakia and my grandmother made this for her circle of relatives each Friday. Now my mother and I make it the usage of her recipe.
It may be eaten as the principle path or, in smaller parts, as an aspect dish. Then again, my circle of relatives at all times eats it by myself because it’s VERY filling; as my grandma would say—it’s intended to stay you going for a complete day’s paintings!
The dough is the trickiest a part of this dish, however as soon as you realize the consistency I promise it’s fast and simple to make!
Right here’s the recipe for how you can make Slovakian Bryndzové Halusky at house!
Bryndzové halušky is the nationwide dish of Slovakia! In some areas the place sheep had been scarce and simplest cows had been saved, the halušky is ready with cottage cheese fairly than bryndza (sheep’s cheese).
We don’t have Slovak bryndza in the US, so our circle of relatives makes a bryndza change the usage of crumbled feta cheese and bitter cream, which has a an identical style.
Continuously, bryndzové halušky is crowned with thick bacon cubes or sausage, however as a vegetarian, I depart the beef out and that is the model I’m sharing with you.
So placed on some conventional Slovak Fujara tune and let’s get began!
Makes four parts
- four medium/massive purple potatoes or 2 massive Russet potatoes
- 2 cups of flour
- 1 tsp salt (plus a pinch to salt the water)
- 1 tbsp butter (not obligatory)
For the bryndza change:
- 6 ounces. (about ¾ cup) feta cheese
- About five heaping tbsp Bitter Cream
The dough is in a position when the spoon can rise up within the dough and falls down slowly to the facet.
Recipe + Preparation
- Get ready the bryndza change: Get a divorce any better feta crumbles with a knife to make smaller. Mix the feta and bitter cream and stir neatly. Permit combination to take a seat and are available to room temperature whilst you get ready the halušky.
- For the halusky: Carry a big pot of water to a rolling boil and upload a pinch of salt. Whilst the water is heating, wash and peel potatoes.
- Finely grate the potatoes into a big bowl. This can be achieved through hand, the usage of a high-quality meals grater, or through hanging the peeled and chopped potatoes right into a meals processor and processing till pureed. Moderately pour out any extra water from the grated potatoes.
- Stir within the salt and steadily upload the flour, blending neatly. Vital: slowly stir within the flour to be sure to don’t upload an excessive amount of as the volume wanted will range relying on potato measurement. You won’t use the entire flour, or would possibly want somewhat extra. The dough is in a position when the spoon can rise up within the dough and falls down slowly to the facet.
- Position a portion of the dough onto a picket reducing board. The use of a small knife, minimize and “toss” the dough into the boiling water, ensuring to stay the items rather small and an identical in measurement. The drops of dough will have to keep in combination within the boiling water and no longer ruin aside. In the event that they ruin aside, upload extra flour to the dough to thicken.
- When the halušky rises to the highest, use a slotted spoon to take away and position right into a colander. Repeat this procedure with parts of the dough in order to not depart the cooked dough within the boiling water for too lengthy.
- Give the halušky dumplings a snappy rinse within the colander with sizzling water to take away extra starch.
eight. Pour out the water from the pot and switch the halušky again into the pot. Stir within the butter to coat the halušky (not obligatory).
nine. Moderately stir within the bryndza/change, coating the halušky flippantly. Serve heat.
Pointers and Tips
Paintings FAST when peeling and grating the potatoes to forestall browning. I like to recommend pouring out water from the grated potatoes as you pass and stirring in just a little of the flour to stay the halušky dough from browning an excessive amount of as you’re employed thru peeling and grating the potatoes.
My circle of relatives prefers the usage of purple potatoes as they appear to be much less starchy and no longer as sticky as Russets, however both will paintings.
In Slovakia, the general public use a halušky maker known as a “haluškár” which seems like a pan with holes within the backside. The dough is positioned within the haluškár and dropped during the holes into the boiling water. This helps to keep the halušky uniform in measurement and form.
A spaetzle maker may well be used for the same impact, however I really like at hand toss the dough as that’s the best way my grandmother did it.
A variation of this dish, known as Strapačky s kapustou, which my circle of relatives additionally enjoys, may also be made with sauerkraut (¾ of a 28 ouncescan) fairly than cheese as follows:
Rinse and drain the sauerkraut. Soften four tbsps of butter in a skillet. Upload a medium diced onion, cooking round three mins till translucent. Upload the sauerkraut and a tsp of sugar. Combine neatly and cook dinner till flippantly browned. Stir ready sauerkraut combination in with ready halušky dumplings. Serve heat.
This recipe inspires heat emotions of circle of relatives and custom. On a up to date shuttle to Slovakia with my mother, we loved many evenings eating in comfortable kolibas savoring this dish together with different conventional Slovak foods.
Something is needless to say, that is cooking with love! Dobrú chut’!
(For those who had been so as to add bacon or a fake meat topping—there’s a photograph reference above!)
Wish to to find different scrumptious meals from world wide to make? Take a look at those recipes!