The aroma of a hearty, scrumptious Hen Stew stuffed my family rising up in Barbados, and nonetheless does these days. My mom and aunt realized how one can make this Caribbean meal from my grandfather and now I’ve in spite of everything perfected how one can make it as neatly!
In case you ask my husband what his favourite meal is that I prepare dinner, he’ll say Hen Stew. Additionally it is my favourite meal to make as a result of I prepare dinner it with such ease and it’s tremendous tasty and filling. I like that it makes leftovers each and every time, and the flavors if truth be told accentuate when it sits within the refrigerator in a single day.
Right here’s the recipe for how one can make Caribbean Hen Stew from Barbados at house!
This dish cooked all through the Caribbean certain is tasty in case you are within the temper for excellent convenience meals. Hen Stew may also be present in Barbados at native meals vans or deli’s, on the other hand, one of the simplest ways to have it, in my view, is at house candy house, made with love.
Historically, it’s paired with a starch, equivalent to rice or mashed potatoes. I at all times revel in mine with basmati rice.
Serving length: four folks
- four skinless, bone-in hen thighs seasoned (The bone keeps the beef soft when cooking)
- 1 medium-size onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- A host of thyme sprigs
- three carrots, sliced
- four small mushrooms, chopped
- three English potatoes, chopped
- ½ cup frozen peas
- 2 ½ cups of hen inventory (I used unsalted)
- 2 tablespoons of canola oil
- 2 heaped tablespoons of brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon of browning (non-compulsory)
- 1 teaspoon of Worchester sauce
- four stage tablespoons of flour
- ¼ cup of water
- Salt and pepper to style
Recipe + Preparation
- Season the hen with thyme, Worchester sauce, salt & pepper. Refrigerate for an hour and even in a single day to permit the hen to marinate and absorb the flavors of the herbs and sauce.
- In a medium-size pot, on a top flame, warmth the oil for five mins, or till extremely popular. Upload the brown sugar, and wait a couple of mins till it appears bubbly and darkish brown. As soon as the sugar is effervescent, and virtually having a look burnt, upload your hen and turn so every aspect will get lined. The hen will flip a pleasing brown colour, caramelized by way of the sugar. If you need, at this level you’ll be able to additionally upload the browning which is able to upload some further further brown colour if you wish to have the stew to be darker. That is non-compulsory!
- Upload the chopped onions, garlic, mushrooms and carrots and provides a stir. Upload the thyme, salt and pepper. As soon as combined, upload the hen inventory. Then, upload the chopped potatoes. Let bubble for a couple of mins on a top warmth, stir after which duvet with a lid. Flip the warmth right down to low for 20 mins.
- Upload the frozen peas to the pot.
- Discover and switch the warmth to top so the stew is effervescent once more. Upload flour to a measuring cup, then pour within the water and blend with a spoon. It must make a thick, clean paste, and not using a chunks (roughly like pancake batter consistency). Pour slowly into the pot, and stir till it thickens. If the stew thickens ahead of all of the paste is used, prevent including.
- Flip the warmth off, and take away the sticks leftover from the thyme. You’ll be able to then make your rice or different starchy goodness to pair it with!
- As soon as plated, I really like so as to add a bit scorching sauce on best of my stew, for an additional kick. Consume up, and revel in!
Guidelines and Tips From My Grandfather
Ensure the sugar is effervescent, as this is helping so as to add a caramelized taste for the hen and the stew. The trick is to have the oil extremely popular in order that the sugar can caramelize temporarily. The purpose is to keep away from the usage of the extra browning.
Including the flour paste on the finish is essential, in order that the gravy within the stew thickens. If you find yourself consuming it together with your rice or mash potato it soaks all of it up when it’s great and thick! Whether it is too liquidy it gained’t be as relaxing!
Random cooking tip from Olivia: When cooking with mushrooms, I love to peel the mushrooms and discard the outside and the stem, ahead of I chop them! That method they’re much cleaner.
Need to to find different scrumptious meals from around the globe to make? Take a look at those recipes!